1. Be with Nature: The essential goal with regard to grounding kundalini and alleviating kundalini syndrome symptoms has to do with bringing down the energy and lowering the frequency of it’s vibration. So some of what is going to be suggested is going to mirror what you would do when trying to heal and balance the Root Chakra, and in that regard, reconnecting with nature and earth is very helpful. Along the same lines, gardening or other landscaping activity which gets your hands dirty are also highly recommended. Go ahead and do some potting and weeding. Not only will you get your garden in shape, you will also start to manage kundalini.
2. Do Physical Work: As indicated above, the objective is to get yourself back into the body and reconnected to the earth and one of the good ways of doing that is with physical labor. So if you are suffering from too much kundalini, then counter it with such laborious tasks. Anything that requires physical work will help. Carpentry, construction, painting, etc are all good to do. Any interest of yours that also requires physical work is good to do.
3. Do Physical Exercise: If your condition allows you to exercise, I would certainly recommend doing so. This has the benefits of making you more body oriented as the method above, but in addition it will also help you fight any anxiety the kundalini syndrome might be causing. If you are able to exercise, you will feel more confident about your health and so will not be so stressed and fearful about what is happening in the body.
4. Eat Full Meals: Proper and regular diet is always recommended for good health, and in the case of dealing with excessive kundalini energy, eating bigger heavier meals will help you feel more grounded and settled. Again, as you can see, the goal is to feel more in your body and more connected to earth and your life, and food is certainly a strong source of this connection.
5. Avoid Stimulants: If kundalini energy is out of control then you do not want to stimulate her further. So it is important to abstain as much as possible from stimulating foods and drugs. So during this time, alcohol, drugs, coffee, tea, etc should be avoided.
6. Take a Break from Your Spiritual Practice: As tip number 5 above, you want to stop stimulating the energy and so it is important to take break from your spiritual practice until you feel you can better handle the energy and the situation. This step here is a very personal decision, but generally speaking, if you are suffering from kundalini syndrome, then your practice might very well be out of balance, and so it needs to be re-evaluated anyway. Often, the aspirant is doing too much mantra/chakra meditation or perhaps is listing to Binaural Beats, etc and not balancing their practice with physical yoga and simple spiritual activities, so in these cases it is certainly recommended to stop what they are doing and establish a more sound and balanced practice.
7. Rest and Relaxation: Sometimes kundalini is working within you and you just need to relax and give her a chance to do what needs to be done. In these cases you need to trust her intelligence and give your body a chance to go through the cleansing and purification taking place. In general, being relaxed is very important when dealing with kundalini, as getting anxious and worried about kundalini awakening symptoms only makes the situation worse. This is often why in the past, kundalini yoga was practiced in an ashram or monastery, where you have the time and space for proper kundalini awakening to take place. Another good way to relax, which also helps to calm kundalini is to take warm baths.
Summary of Treating Kundalini Syndrome:
Kundalini awakening is a very personal journey and the experiences vary considerably form person to person (read Kundalini Awakening Symptoms). So you have to listen carefully to your own body and heart to see what is the right course for you. If though the energy has become too much for you and the symptoms are causing you trouble, then the above guidelines can help you get things back under control. Some of this will be trial and error, but in general the above tips have worked well for others to whom I have recommended them.
If you are suffering from kundalini syndrome, worrying will not help, so try and trust the process that is taking place, while at the same time acting intelligently and taking steps outlined above to ground the energy. There are even more ways to help bring the energy down and in a future article, I will share those with you as well.